- Why our young dogs behave the way they do – why won’t they calm down?
- How to harness and steer their natural behaviours for fast and keen responsiveness to do as you ask
- How to communicate clearly with your dog so that you can keep his attention – even with distractions
- How to manage and prevent unwanted behaviour and set your puppy, and yourself up for success
- Different ways of teaching basic cues, such as sit, down, leave, stop, walking nicely on lead, and recall
- How we can then teach our dogs to hold their sits and downs for longer, recall with bigger distractions, etc
- Understanding our legal obligations and responsibilities as dog owners.
All classes will include opportunities for you to ask questions and answers, and we will look at some of the recent research and science that has furthered our understanding of how dogs think, and look at debunking some of the common myths you might have heard.
The aim of this class is to achieve a level of training whereby you can earn graded badges of achievements in each of the ‘big 5’
- A sit or down stay
- Walk on lead without pulling on lead
- Emergency stop
These will start at very basic puppy level and build up to the levels you would expect from a working gundog or service dog, demonstrating your commitment to being a great dog owner.